Re: RFC: New source packaging format

Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com> writes:
> > We already do, when you run dpkg-source --build, it makes a .orig.tar.gz
> > file, a .diff.gz file, and a .dsc file.
>
> Actually (though I admit hello-source.deb is a cool hack, it's still a
> hack -- and debian has mostly gained it's superiority from getting the
> *details* right; that's *why* dpkg is better than rpm...) short term
> would would probably help the most for those of us doing "piggy-back"
> packages, is a way for dpkg-source to handle *multiple* trees in one
> package... ie. if I build prc-tools, I'd have prc-tools.orig.tar.gz,
> prc-tools.diff.gz, gcc.orig.tar.gz, gcc.diff.gz, and a single
> prc-tools.dsc.  I can then save *hours* on the upload by manually
> verifying that the md5sum of my gcc.orig.tar.gz matches the one on
> master, and then uploading the rest (ie. stuff a single "u" line in
> the prc-tools_i386.upload file, and dupload does it right
> automatically...)  Hmm, could even do that automatically given a
> mirror.
>
> This would require some conniving on the part of Guy Maor's installer
> scripts (to permit the announcement to reference stuff in the tree,
> and to reference count tarfiles so that they didn't get deleted
> prematurely.)  It would fit cleanly into the existing framework, though.

Well my proposed format already handles that, you would just have
3 source packages

src-orig-prc-tools_x.x-x_all.deb
src-orig-gcc_x.x-x_all.deb
src-deb-prc-tools_x.x-x_all.deb

The src-deb-prc-tools_x.x-x_all.deb file would just declare dependencies
on the two upstream source packages.  It would also contain two patch
files if you actually needed to patch the source (like .src.rpm).

In addition, the src-orig-gcc_x.x-x_all.deb could be the same one used
by src-deb-gcc_x.x-x_all.deb to generate the gcc package.

BTW, this should be easy to handle in the archive, since you just install
all the src-*.deb files in a directory and create a Packages file.

Cheers,

 - Jim