Re: When to get the upstream maintainer involved.

I think the Debian Project gets more and more overregulated. Maybe we
should have some suggestions in the manual but the relationship between a
package maintainer and the upstream author is generally dependant on the
specific situation varying between "dont bother me" to "why did you not tell
me!!".

In article <m0xNPuH-00J4hIC@golem.pixar.com> you wrote:
: Is there policy manual material on when to get the upstream maintainer
: involved in a problem? If not, we need to insert some.

: In general, you should _not_ bother the upstream maintainer until you
: have determined that there is a bug in their program. Specificaly:

: * Debian handles it own user support. We do not pass user correspondence
:   on to the upstream maintainer before we know what is wrong.

: * We diagnose programs by ourselves. We do not ask the upstream maintainer
:   to do the work of the package maintainer.

: * Before we pass on a bug, we make darned sure it's not our problem.
:   This is especially important in the case of porting packages to libc 6,
:   where the package may not be at fault, and libc 6 or the way we are
:   building the package is where the problem lies.

: If you find that you don't understand a package well enough to diagnose
: it, it's probably a good idea for you to swap that package for another,
: with a maintainer who can handle it better.

: 	Thanks

: 	Bruce
: --
: Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
: Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html
: Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@debian.org   NEW PHONE NUMBER: 510-620-3502