Re: tar files in example dirs

> I meant that untarring them under /usr/doc creates that problem. I meant
> that because I was thinking that /usr/doc is the _right_ place for that
> files, as plain files, maybe gzipped, not tarred.
> And if /usr/doc is the right place to put the files, then why should be
> untarred in another place? (apart root and ro fs ...)
> I say: maintainer, put the files in the right place, without tarballs.

Ah, now I see your problem.

But usually, the right place never is /usr/doc, as usually nothing in
/usr/doc gets used by the system (it's only there for the admin).

But for example in nfsroot, I've got an example of how to setup
a printerserver. This pringerserver needs some ten files to
setup (samba etc). These files all need to go into /etc, of cource.

Now, the problem with me putting all those files in /etc is that:
  - they need to go into /etc/nfsroot/$IPNUMBER/
    and I don't know the $IPNUMBER of the clients the user is going to create.
  - I assume most people don't want to make printerservers.
    If I were to put those files in, say, /etc/nfsroot/default, then
    every client will by default have that setup. This is not ideal.
So, I have to put those files in /usr/doc/examples.

Of cource you can still argue that I should have untarred the
.tar.gz in /usr/doc/nfsroot/examples myself (in the debian/rules binary).
I argue that this will only create more subdirs, more mess.
and I would like to be allowed to give the user a .tar.gz file.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj