Re: perl-base

(I CC this mail to debian-policy and to Klee. Hope you don't mind.)

On 23 Sep 1997, Darren/Torin/Who Ever... wrote:

> Christian Schwarz, in an immanent manifestation of deity, wrote:
> >Do you have a decision about which modules will be included in perl-base?
> >I really would like to have dpkg-perl merged into perl-base.
>
> Right now, it's just the modules that were announced.  If you have a
> burning desire to add something else and it's small, it can probably be
> arranged.  You've got a little over a week to decide.
>
> I'm not sure why you'd want to have dpkg-perl on every debian system.
> It looks more like a development package rather than a general use one.

dpkg-perl is a collection of Perl modules to access dpkg's databases. It
can be used in postinst scripts to check for other packages, etc.

(For example, the tetex-* packages check for old tex packages in their
preinst scripts. The check is currently done by calling "dpkg -l" but this
is definitely to slow. With dpkg-perl this can be implemented much
faster.)

Klee, what do you think about this? I see the following options:

    a) place dpkg-perl into "base" and tag it "Essential"

    b) move the modules from dpkg-perl into perl-base

    c) make tetex-* predepend on dpkg-perl

    d) keep everything as it is now (i.e. use "dpkg -l")

It would be good to here a few comments about this.

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/