Re: kde directory structure

[moved to debian-policy, leaving debian-private]

Christoph Lameter wrote:

> No way. The way Andreas did it was just fine. /opt is for third party
> software and Debian is the Operating System vendor in that scheme of
> things.

I can summarize her the conclusion of a 1000 words message that I just
sent to debian-policy.

We are the OS vendor, and we are packaging these programs acting as if
we were the SW vendor, because he has not yet interest to do this by
itself, but things will change.

One of the things that I've heard as a distinction between RedHat and
debian is that we don't _permit_ others to package their software by
themself, as opposed to red hat that accepts contributions from
everyone.

ciao,
fabrizio