Re: [PROPOSED] Change package relations policy to remove references to non-free from main

On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 11:57:53AM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > btw: this make dpkg even slower than it is now
>
> What do you have to support this statement? I can see ways that Enhances:
> could be implemented internally in dpkg as a form of Suggests, with probably
> no speed differance.

consider package that has no dep, rec nor sug field.
now it was possible to simply select and install it
but with ench field the whole database has to be scaned
one more time for each package
this make:
- a lot of useless scans (this will slow dpkg down a bit or two)
or
- back entries (enched by) in every package for internal use of packager

the second possibility takes user further from packager's reallity,
and really makes even-weaker-suggest field which is neither new nor useful

and what maintainers of netscape will have to do when we'll have
ench field ? make a new version every week only for new enchs ?