Re: draft proposal for a new web server policy

Joey Hess, 2003-12-06 21:20:19 +0100 :

> Maybe it's time to think about amending section 11.5. of policy (Web
> servers and applications) to address some of the problems with it. Here
> are the problems I know of:

[...]

>  - If you use vhosts, you can only have one pointing to /var/www,
>    so only one will get the debian content provided there. To add it to the
>    others, you have to maintain lots of symlinks.

[...]

>  - Any others?

Yes.  I'd love to have a proper way of packaging a web application
that needs its own vhost(s).  Case study: gforge, which needs two
fixed vhosts, as well as a potential infinity of optional ones.
Happily, the main vhost uses PHP files located in
/usr/share/gforge/www/ and /usr/share/gforge/cgi-bin/ (or so).  The
second one uses Mailman's files so it's currently not my problem but
it might become so if the Mailman package suddenly provides its own
vhost.

[...]

> 11.5. Web servers and applications
>
> 11.5.1. Filesystem locations for web-accessible content
>
>      This section describes the filesystem locations that should be
>      used for web-accessible content provided by the Debian system.
>
>      CGI executable files are installed in
>      /usr/lib/cgi-bin/<cgi-name>.

  I suggest adding a "...or /usr/lib/cgi-bin/<package>/<cgi-name>" in
there.

>      HTML documents for a package are stored in
>      /usr/share/doc/<package>.
>
>      Web applications should store static web-accessible files (icons,
>      non-documentation html pages, etc), under /usr/share/<package> and
>      /usr/lib/<package>. Variable web-accessible files (such as mrtg
>      graphs) may be stored under /var/lib/<package>.

  I suggest adding a mention of PHP files here.  One could argue that
they are CGI files, but I'm not sure.  In the case of Gforge, the URLs
do not include any cgi-bin/ part, and I'm very reluctant to add it.

[...]

> 11.5.2. URLs for web-accessible content
>
>      This section specifies the URLs that should be used to access
>      web-accessible content provided by the Debian system.
>
>      The Debian web content will be available at the URL
>      http://<site>/debian-www/. This includes
>      http://<site>/debian-www/cgi-bin for CGI programs,
>      http://<site>/debian-www/doc for documentation, and
>      http://<site>/debian-www/<application> for web application data.
>
>      These URLs should also work for any virtual hosts on the Debian
>      system, unless the administrator has chosen to not include the
>      Debian content on a virtual host.

  I'd really like the possibility of having one application have its
own vhost that it may manage for itself.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

prw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Jan  1  1970 This-is-not-a-pipe|