Re: build-depends-indep and arch: all source packages

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 08:29:43PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> If a package is strictly arch-indep, then nobody is likely to benefit
> from the build-depends being split into the pieces needed to run
> binary-indep, and the peices needed to run clean. It's just useless
> makework for the maintainer.

Exactly.

Perhaps that passage should be written to reflect how the tools work? A
problem with the original 'clean' modification was that people started
looking at the headers, rather than looking at what was required. This
might still happen (although I don't see how people could still read it
in a way to be both policy compliant and unbuildable on autobuilders),
and that might still result in people misunderstanding what
build-depends are for.

Something like...

`` 'Build-Depends' should contain all packages that are required for a
'dpkg-buildpackage -B' run to complete successfully. Any packages
that are not requird for a 'dpkg-buildpackage -B' run, but that are
required for a plain 'dpkg-buildpackage' run should be put in
'Build-Depends-Indep'. For reference, 'dpkg-buildpackage -B' calls the
'foo', 'bar', and 'baz' targets of the 'debian/rules' file, whereas
'dpkg-buildpackage' calls the 'foobar', 'quux', and 'quuux' targets.''

(dpkg-buildpackage's manpage doesn't tell which targets exactly are
called. If people accept the above, I'll make sure I find out, but I was
too lazy to read the code right now)

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."