Re: Policy change proposal - JVMs Provides: requirements

Hi Dalibor,

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 02:25:44AM -0800, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> The stubs in classpath count for me as 2). They let
> you compile programs against the stubs, after all, and
> thus  are definitely more useable than 1). I think
> this was one of the reasons the OpenOffice guys went
> ahead with Classpath and not kaffe's class library for
> their debian build work. Classpath has at least free
> software stubs for swing, while kaffe has none, but
> works well with sun's implementation. Using kaffe +
> sun's non-free swing would have kicked OpenOffice out
> of 'debian-free', if I understand the debian policies
> right.

Erm, I must confess that the Debian team hasn't had the time to look at this
problem yet.  Red Hat made a patch to 'use' gcj, but it turns out to be a
completely ugly set of stubs that are compiled completely unnecessarily
instead of making changes to the build system.

The openoffice.org packages are therefore in Debian contrib, because we need
the non-free JDK to build, but there are no runtime dependencies.

Chris