Re: Policy Suggestion - User Configuration Files

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 02:37:07AM +0000, Julian Gilbey wrote:

> I like the idea.  I vote for ~/etc, though, not ~/.etc; there's little
> point hiding this one directory name if it is going to contain all of
> the configuration data.

While the general idea of having all configuration files in one place in
the home directory is worse enough (not because of the general idea,
which is good, but because of common Unix practices), having such a
directory "etc" forced upon me in my namespace (i.e. non-hidden files in
the home directory) is unacceptable. The home dir is mine, I don't want
random packages to create visible files and directories in it.
(Evolution is bad enough by creating an "evolution" directory in my
homne - Nautilus used to do this, too, but fortunately this insanity has
stopped.)

 - Sebastian, "stay away from my home"