Re: Architecture strings Was: [rms@gnu.org: Re: PATCH: gcc-3.1/criteria.html]

On May 29, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Ok, now that we separate woody and unstable, it is time to think about
> this. IMO, this is not a gcc only thing. So propably it should be
> changed in dpkg/policy first. debian-<cpu>-linux-gnu and
> <cpu>-linux-gnu come to mind as an alternative.

IMHO this would be a non-technical (i.e. political) amendment to
policy, since there is no good reason for autoconf not to accept
<cpu>-linux as the architecture string, particularly when we consider
that the choice of <cpu>-linux was to maximize compatibility with
other distributions.

To put it another way, I formally object to changing policy on this
point, particularly since there are are much more important changes
[hopefully] coming in terms of architecture handling that need to be
resolved first.

Chris, twiddling his thumbs while the cabal waits to bless woody :-)
--
Chris Lawrence <chris@lordsutch.com> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/