Re: init.d scripts and LSB

* Craig Small <csmall@eye-net.com.au> [020505 20:19]:
>   I have got bug #138251 which talks about the init.d script and how it
> is missing some nices things etc.
>
> Should Debian scripts be following the LSB and if so, why doesn't the
> policy either mention the LSB or have the same standards?
>
> This is more important for me as the dh-make maintainer as a lot of
> people use it to make their own packages so I like to get it right.
>
> I'm not on debian-policy, so please CC me.

Hi Craig,

As I've argued late last year [1] Debian should take the necessary
Policy steps to move forward with LSB adoption.  Init scripts [2] are
one point of many related issues.  There has not been consensus on this
list.  I believe Bdale (based on his platform) feels similarly.

Regards,

--
-- Grant Bowman                                <grantbow@grantbow.com>

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-policy/2001/debian-policy-200111/msg00099.html
    The thread spans over November, December and January.

[2] http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/gLSB/gLSB/iniscrptact.html