Re: Source package policy problem.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 04:46:37PM -0500, Adam McKenna wrote:
> I am trying to make a source package of daemontools by Dan Bernstein.  Since
> there is no license for distributing the source, I have made my source
> package an installer package.  The only problem I have is the Debian .diff

Hello Adam,

as You probably know, I am working on a similar thing. I made _binary_
packages of djb's software, daemontools, ucspi-tcp, var-qmail (qmail,
dot-forward, fastforward), djbdns.
They are tested for a few month now by several people out there.
They do not comply with debian policy, because the binaries reside in
/usr/local/bin (excepting qmail, binaries are in /usr/{bin,sbin}), but they
seem to be accaptable to djb: I wrote him attached mail about three weeks
ago, did not get an answer yet. He did not prohibit an announcement of those
packages.
See the packages at http://www.innominate.org/~pape/djb/ .

Nevertheless, the packages cannot go into Debian GNU/Linux non-free, because
of the location of the binaries. I got a tip from Russel Nelson on djb's
dns-mailing-list: "Symlinks are your friends.". So my question:

Is it policy conform to have a package (or packages depending on each
other) installing binaries in /usr/bin/ _and_ providing syslinks to
/usr/local/bin/ ?

Adam, shouldn't we perhaps work together on this?

Regards, Gerrit.

--
pape@innominate.com
                                                        innominate AG