Re: changelog bug-closing should not be used unless the code changes

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 11:18:04AM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> >>From the debian/changelog entry for glibc 2.2-7:
> [...]
> This caused the BTS to send a message to me saying:

The BTS forwarded you most of that message, actually.

>   [The bug] has been closed by one of the developers, namely
>   Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>.    [...]
>
>   We believe that the bug you reported is fixed in the latest version of
>   glibc, which has been installed in the Debian FTP archive: [...]
>
> This is a lie, of course - we do not believe that the bug `is fixed in
> the latest version of glibc'.  Nothing has been changed in the libc.
>
> I don't think that using the changelog bug-closing mechanism is
> appropriate for when a bug is closed with no change to the code.

That particular text is generated by dinstall/katie, the FTP archive
maintenance software, so it's the FTP admins who would have to to change it.

> James (you're still owner@bugs?) and Ben, do you agree ?

He isn't. (Who's behind which e-mail alias is described at
http://www.debian.org/intro/organization )

> If James agrees it might be helpful to put a note in some of the BTS
> or changelog documentation about this (and I'll suggest it in a new
> bug report against the appropriate package or pseudo-package if you
> and others agree).

What exactly do you want changed in the BTS documentation? The message
debbugs emits is correct regardless of what the developer did to close the
bug report:

[...]
Subject: $gBug#$ref acknowledged by developer
         ($header{'subject'})
[...]

This is an automatic notification regarding your $gBug report
#$ref: $s_subject,
which was filed against the $s_package package.

It has been closed by one of the developers, namely
$markedby.

Their explanation is attached below.  If this explanation is
unsatisfactory and you have not received a better one in a separate
message then please contact the developer directly, or email
$ref\@$gEmailDomain or me.

$gMaintainer
(administrator, $gProject $gBugs database)

<end quote>