Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

Okay.. Let's see if I'm following here and can therefore correctly
summerise:

We're required to ship a copy of the GPL with each complete work. We just
don't know for sure of the granularity of a "complete work" under the GPL.

So I maintain, from the point of view of an end-user of Debian, that the
"complete" work is the "official" main + non-US/main distribution.
Individual debs, official mirror sites, cdrom packages, and source
packages are merely components of this "complete work".

If I compile a GPL'd debian package from source, for use on a Debian
system not necessarily my own, that package stays a mere component of the
"complete work", even if that package is not the same version as the
"official" one.

However, if I compile the selfsame GPL'd debian package for use on a
non-Debian system, then it is my responsibility to ensure a copy of the
GPL of whichever version is cited, travels along with the package to the
destination.

I recognise that it doesn't necessarily follow that the "complete work"
shares the same scope when taken from another point of view, for instance
that of a redistributor. I however do not see the necessity of including a
verbatim copy of any common license in the debs, because the debs are
meant to be installed on a Debian system, which will already have a copy
of the license installed, or converted with alien and installed on an rpm
or slackware system, which ought to have a similar system of common
license management.

Perhaps, if the consensus is that we MUST TO include a verbatim copy of
the GPL, we therefore extend to including a verbatim license irrespective
of the license. I suggest that the best place to place this verbatim copy
is in the package's metadata.