Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On 29-Nov-2000 Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > Package: debian-policy
> >
> > RMS just asked me if it was true that all our packages don't include
> > the GPL, just a reference to it, since that is a violation of the
> > GPL itself. In his words:
> >

> we do not remove the copyright. it is still in the source.  I fail to see why
> having 300 copies of the same file is needed.

I agree, the present reference is good enough (especially since most
software Debian uses is GPL'ed).

But the fact remains: when getting deb sources there is no problem
because the original tar.gz contains the GPL in full, but the binary
package doesn't include it (after installed it only contains the
reference).

I can see the point here: this is ok when we assume the most usual case:
deb's are used in Debian systems. But if someone has apt in another
dist/OS - I don't know is ppl do this, but they prolly can - the
reference that 'copyright' provides doesn't exist (apart from the url).

I hope there is an easy way to fix this.

best regards,

fsm

--
Frederico Serrano Muñoz		GNU: http://www.gnu.org