Re: [RFC] Package build time config for installation directories.

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Ben Collins wrote:

> 1) Non-FHS ports have problems concering the directories where things
>    get installed (they may not match linux directories). Darwin, FreeBSD,
>    Hurd and many others fall into this category.

Could someone explain to me how a non-FHS 'Debian Port' is something we
should even be thinking about doing? Is it really Debian anymore? It
certianly isn't just a port..

I wasn't aware the hurd Debian folks were actually going to do that within
Debian..

>    Problem created: These ports will probably never exist for Debian.
>    Porters will find it too difficult, or will come up with severely

As I understand it we have to do it for ia64.. The ia64 box intel demo'd
at OLS had a 64 bit userland and 32 bit libraries to support legacy apps,
they were running a 32 bit acroreader for instance.

Support for other OS's is a good reason I think, but then again - they are
non-free..

Jason