Re: Preparing Debian for using capabilities: file ownership.

    Raul> Or, put another way, we're going to have to re-write a lot
    Raul> of administrative docs to adapt to a capabilities-based
    Raul> security setup.  And then we'll have to do it again for
    Raul> MAC.

;-)

or should that be

:-(

    Raul> [Also: both have extra baggage, but MAC+capabilities looks
    Raul> like something safer to switch over to than capabilities
    Raul> without MAC.]

Where can I find out more about MAC? MAC is a completely new acronym
to me...

    >> - what is the current status of capabilities in Linux? Last I heard,
    >> it was so limited that it was next to useless. I hope this has/will
    >> change.

    Raul> They're implemented in 2.4, but they're not ready for prime
    Raul> time.  The set of capabilities may change, and ext2fs
    Raul> doesn't let you do the capability analog to setuid (nor the
    Raul> inverse -- where capabilities are supressed).

Will it be possible to limit individual processes access to individual
files? I have a good reason for wanting to do this, but so far, all I
can tell is that the list of capabilities is fixed/hard-coded in the
kernel and cannot be changed.

    Raul> Not very practical.

    Raul> kernel change time != package install time.

    Raul> Basically, we'd be committing to do a complete sweep of the file
    Raul> system every time the kernel booted.  [Perhaps optimize this by
    Raul> marking each partition with a stamp indicating what kernel
    Raul> has swept the partition?]

My guess is that supporting both systems could get very messy, very
quickly.

However, I think supporting both systems might be essential, so that
people can get use to the completely different way in which things are
done, which-out being "forced" into the change.

I can't say much more then that right now until I get a chance to play
around with some of this stuff myself.

Perhaps enhancing suidregister to support capabilities might be a good
first step.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>