Palm V can't communicate with pilot-xfer

Hi:

I'm having trouble getting up and running with my Palm V on my Debian
system. Specifically, i can't get pilot-xfer to communicate with the
Palm.

I'm out of ideas of stuff to try here. I'm including a summary of
tests run and experiences gained. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be
grateful...

bill

--------------------
Verification that the comm port works and that I can access it.

15:53:41 luecke ~\ ls -l /dev/pilot
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            5 Nov 28 15:22 /dev/pilot -> ttyS0
15:53:49 luecke ~\ ls -l /dev/ttyS0
crwxrwxrwx    1 root     dialout    4,  64 Nov 20 12:38 /dev/ttyS0

I also connected a 9pin cable from the comm port to my printer and
cp'd a text file to the printer successfully, thus proving that I have
access to ttyS0 and that it works.

I'm using pilot-link 0.9.5-pre3 from helixcode (?) (I upgraded,
thinking that that might be solve the  problem, but the symptoms
were similar with pilot-link 0.9.3-3)

------------------------------
verification that the Palm V works
(I can sync perfectly at home using Windoze 98 and the supplied Palm V
desktop software)

Palm Data:
Palm V
Flash ID 10FF11806DR9-H
Palm OS Software v 3.1

I have verified that the Palm is sending data to ttyS0 by doing the
following:

put the Palm V in the cradle,

issue:

cat /dev/ttyS0

then hit the hot-sync button on the cradle.

On my xterm, I get a bunch of ASCII characters, some of which are
CTRL-C's (the little diamond). The Palm V first sends a long string (~20
characters) and then repeats the same ~8 character string at about 2
second intervals until it gives up. That makes me think that something
on the linux end is not configured correctly. i.e. pilot-xfer cannot
communicate back to the Palm that it's there and ready.

I have successfully communicated with it it using another debian
system (running the simple test pilot-xfer -l) using a slightly later
kernel, but I don't have very good notes from that experience. It
appeared that we got no sync at first, and then tried sync'ing with
the Palm Desktop Software running in Windows '98 under VMWare. After
we were succesful with that, we could sync from linux as
well. However, we were changing so many things that we may have
screwed something up.

Various software versions

15:53:55 luecke ~\ pilot-xfer -v

   ---o-o---  The Palm name and logo are copyright Palm Computing, Inc.
   ---o--o--  and subsidiaries. All rights reserved.
   ---o-o---
   ---o-----  This is pilot-xfer from pilot-link version 0.9.5-pre3
   ---o-----
   ---o-----  pilot-link 0.9.5-pre3 is covered under the GPL
              See the file COPYING for more details.

15:55:07 luecke ~\ uname -a
Linux tin 2.2.14 #1 Wed Mar 29 11:41:52 EST 2000 i586 unknown

15:56:25 luecke ~\ setserial -a /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
        Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
        closing_wait: 3000, closing_wait2: infinite
        Flags: spd_normal skip_test

15:56:31 luecke ~\ stty -a < /dev/ttyS0
speed 9600 baud; rows 0; columns 0; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
eol2 = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W;
lnext = ^V; flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 hupcl -cstopb cread clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon -ixoff
-iuclc -ixany -imaxbel
opost -olcuc -ocrnl -onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0
ff0
-isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echonl noflsh -xcase -tostop
-echoprt -echoctl -echoke

--
William Luecke
NIST Ceramics Division; Ceramic Manufacturing Group

So I went in and saw; and behold every form of creeping things, and
abominable beasts, and all the idols of the house of Israel, portrayed
upon the wall round about. - Eze 8:10