Re: looking for package maintainer

Quoting Michael Wiedmann <mw@miwie.in-berlin.de>:

> I am looking for a volunteer maintainer for a new Debian package.
>
> The program is a X11 GUI frontend for the address database of
> a 3Com Palm Pilot. Up to now it is available in source (GPL)
> and as a Solaris binary only.

Since I got quite a few replies to my posting (I really didn´t
expect this!), I will try to clarify a few things with this public
posting:

- The application in question (pi-address) is a X11 based GUI
  frontend to the address database of a 3Com Palm Pilot.

- It uses ´libpisock.a´ from the pilot-link package for the
  communicaton with the Pilot.

- For the GUI I use Qt, the C++ class library from Troll Tech
  (I *really* don´t want to start a discussion about this here,
  just take it as a fact). As a consequence of this, the
  upcoming Debian package IMHO would be part of the ´contrib´
  section.

- As a consequence of this two points above, the maintainer
  needs the development versions of the pilot-link and qt1g
  packages.

- I started this little private project about 15 months ago
  and the program has already reached a very stable status and
  most of my users are quite satisfied with it.

- Because of lack of spare time continuing development is limited
  to bug fixing and implementation of new features which doesn´t
  need much work to do. There will be now more than 1 release
  per month, hopefully much less depending on the bug reports
  I get ;-)

- The current distribution is done as a source code archive,
  which is accessible on a public ftp site.
  Because there are many users using Solaris (Sparc), I build a
  a Solaris binary and make it publicly available through the
  same ftp site.
  The master ftp site is located in Berlin, Germany and unfortunately
  has only a slow internet connection.
  There is a regulary updated mirror site in the US which has a much
  faster connection.

- Sorry, until now there is no ´autoconf´ support!
  (This is one of my own first topics on the TODO list!)

- I am willing to support the upcoming Debian maintainer with any
  help I can give, of course including changing source code, Makefile,
  etc. if this is necessary to make the package build process more
  ´fluently´.

- Except the binary the package would consist of included documentation
  in form of a FAQ in HTML and ASCII.
  A systemwide configuration file is also part of the source code
  distribution.
  A - dummy - manpage already exists.

So, if there are still questions to answer, don´t hesitate to do so!
Please answer to this mailing list so everybody answered me after my
first posting knows what´s going on and hopefully we will finally
find a person responsible for the pi-address Debian package.

Regards
Michael
--
Looking for an X11 based Address Manager?
Have a look at http://www.in-berlin.de/User/miwie/pia/