Re: sync software recommendation

>>>>> "daniel" == Daniel Dent <ddent@vc.bc.ca> writes:

    daniel> Personally, I've been using jpilot.  The other ones I tried
    daniel> had things I didn't like when I tried.  Who knows, they may
    daniel> have improved since, but I'm happy with jpilot.  It has mail
    daniel> sync, avantgo sync, time sync, plus a quarter-decent
    daniel> interface :).

    daniel> On Tue, 14 May 2002, Tom Hoover wrote:

    >> When I bought my Clie a couple of months ago, I took the easy way and installed
    >> the Palm software under Win4Lin...hotsyncs, etc, work flawlessly.  Now that I'm
    >> sure that I'll be keeping the Clie, I'd like to go ahead and switch to a
    >> Linux-based sync software package.
    >>
    >> I've read about the many software packages out there (j-pilot, k-pilot, etc),
    >> but would like some first hand recommendations from real-world users.  My #1
    >> (and really only) demand is data integrity...I want accurate, flawless two-way
    >> sync capability...I cannot afford an "oops" that causes me to miss an
    >> appointment or lose a phone number.
    >>
    >> As long as data integrity is there, any other bells 'n whistles will be gravy.

I'm having decent luck with gnome-pilot + evolution (on a Palm Vx,
PalmOS 3.5), for a palm pilot + PIM combo.  I had lousy luck on a Palm
V (Palm OSs 3.1, 3.3).

I'm working from 3 locations, so for me, the key is to set things to
"copy from pilot" initially upon arrival, and then sync'ing is no
problem.  When I kept everything on "sync" at all locations, I ended
up with 3 copies of everything...

JPilot I liked for a while, but then I had evil luck with it (with the
Palm V), which is why I went with gnome pilot.  kpilot worked the best
with the Palm V, but that isn't saying much.

gnome-pilot has been perfectly adequate.  I like it, and it syncs well
with sitescooper (need something to do on the bus/shuttle between
offices!).

BTW, I'm running Sid/Unstable with aggressive upgrades, your mileage
may vary with Woody...

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini				Rsrch. Asst. Prof. of Biostatistics
U. of Washington Biostatistics		rossini@u.washington.edu