Re: digikam and EXIF

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:38:38AM +0200, Itay wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to this list, digikam, and digital photography.
> I experience few, perhaps related, problems.
>
> 1. The metadata in exif and makernote are lost after transforming a
> photo.  (Tested on rotating and resizing.)
>
> 2. After starting digikam, my terminal gets cluttered with warning such
> as this
>
> <output>
> Warning: Size 5291 of Exif.Nikon3.0x0091 exceeds \
>   4096 bytes limit. Not decoded.
> </output>

Yes, those are likely related to this message. Notice how it says 'Not
decoded'.

>  Q: How can I cause digikam to copy the relevant metadata
>     into the the transformed photo?
>     Or should I use external tool (exiftools)?
>  Q: Should I worry because of the warnings I get?
>     Even if not  - how to avoid them?

Probably by patching the source, or by filing a bug on digikam or
kipi-plugins.

I suggest you do that bugfiling anyhow :-)

> I use a Nikon D300.
> Photos are recorded as the largets possible tiffs.

I doubt that's important; EXIF data contains metadata, which probably
does not change if you change the container format.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22