Re: Photo management

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 04:33:20PM +0200, Bob van der Kamp wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Hamish,
>
> Thank you for your comments. I like the way you trigger my neurons...
>
> > It just wouldn't be fast enough. Do you want to wait seconds for an
> > image to zoom in?
>
> I don't need to zoom in on a picture to appreciate it. But it
> depends.... I like how the Flickr found the " ideal" combination of
> "zoom factors" in the all sizes button. It is a feature I miss in
> Picassa though. This is also why I think RAW is very overestimated. I
> shoot only JPG.

It's not, but everything has its uses.

I usually set my camera to take pictures in jpeg format. However, when I
_expect_ to be doing post-processing, I set it to RAW, since that's way
more suited to do such things.

> > Flickr is a good place to publish after editing. I have 14Gb of JPG+RAW
> > from a recent holiday (3 weeks) though and it's not practical to upload
> > all of that to a web site to start editing it.
>
> I agree on Flickr. I am an addict of this place .../bvdkamp, but I
> think 14GB ia a lot of data for one holiday. Or did you go for a long
> time? I think 14 GB is far too much for one holiday.

Eh, "too" much? Who are you to decide what's too much for someone else?

Anyway, some people (photo hobbyists mainly) think of "going somewhere
for two weeks doing nothing but taking pictures" as "a great vacation".
That usually results in an amount of pictures that is far higher than
the result of "going to the beach, and taking a camera", or even
"hopping out to see a bunch of buildings, and taking some pictures of
them, too".

[...]
  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22