Re: Further cross-building problems with chatty

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 10:33:49AM +0200, Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues wrote:
> Quoting Travis Wrightsman (2021-10-27 01:19:13)

> > and #717882 for perl-base and perlapi.
> >
> > I'm not sure on the correct fixes for these packages. It looks like the
> > perl bug is especially tricky?
>
> I'm adding debian-perl@lists.debian.org to the recipients as I'm not familiar
> with Perl in a cross-build context. Maybe the Perl maintainers have a solution
> for you.

Indeed perl-base / perlapi-* is not multi-arch compatible and things
are tricky. I doubt that's going to change any time soon and I don't
think anybody is working on that.

Binary Perl modules can currently only be installed for the native
architecture as they need to be compatible with /usr/bin/perl from
perl-base.

I didn't look at the pidgin specifics at all and can't say how much of
a showstopper this is. There's some information on cross building Perl
bits in /usr/share/doc/libperl-dev/README.cross in case that helps.

> I'm a bit confused that debhelper ${perl:Depends} adds an unversioned
> dependency on perl-base even though it's essential:
> https://salsa.debian.org/debian/debhelper/-/blob/main/dh_perl#L152

This is a bug in dh_perl introduced a year ago. I've just reported
#997961 about it.  Thanks for noticing!
--
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org