Re: Status and future of libembperl-perl

Hi,

Thanks for looking into this!

On 21/08/2020 10:31, intrigeri wrote:

> I propose we do this:
>
> 1. Remove it from testing, in order to:
>
>     - Send a strong signal to Debian users who still rely on this
>       module, by *not* including it in Bullseye. Hopefully the few
>       remaining users will notice and migrate to something else, or
>       decide they care enough about the status quo to adopt this
>       module upstream.
>
>     - Decrease the urgency of future problems in this module: e.g.
>       they won't be blocking perl-5.xy upgrades and migrations anymore.
>
> 2. Keep it in sid until next time it badly breaks.
>
>    Depending on when this happens, on whether someone else than us
>    paid attention and took over upstream maintenance, and on the
>    feedback we got from step (1), then we can reconsider our options.
>
> I certainly wouldn't mind removing it from sid now, but I know I don't
> represent the current consensus on our team wrt. trigger-happiness for
> removing packages, hence this more iterative proposal :)

I think the "remove from testing" plan is the nice way to go about it.
Let's see if it triggers reactions. IMO this module shouldn't be used in
production at all, and we can indeed remove it completely, but that way,
if someone steps up it's easier to put it back.

nodens