The purpose of perl-base

Hi, this might be a stupid question, but right now I'm stuck with a system with only perl-base installed, and I can't install perl nor perl-modules-* packages.

I suppose that perl-base is meant as a minimal version of perl, but after experiencing that I can't install neither cpanminus nor perlbrew via their corresponding bash scripts mostly due to lack of PerlIO (and perhaps due to badly configured include paths not finding Cwd.pm)

I might be able to work around this with a chroot, and either run my stuff in there, or copy enough out to run a local perl.

But, that brings me to the question of how useful perl-base is if PerlIO is not included, is that something that should be included, are all existing scripts/modules never needing it or rolling their own IO things? Should stuff like cpanminus/locallib/perlbrew bring include their own versions?

Note, this is not a complaint, I'm curious in what actually gets into perl-base and what those decisions are based on.