R³ (was: Minutes of the DebConf19 BoF)

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 15:06:41 +0200, Clément Hermann wrote:

> Here are the minutes of the DebConf19 BoF.
[…]

I remembered that there was a topic we included in the preparation of
the BoF at last year's DebConf but didn't discuss in the end due to
ENOTIME:

> <!-- end of BoF, the following items weren't covered for time reasons -->
>
> R³?
> ---
>
> dpkg in Buster allows adding "Rules-Requires-Root: no" to debian/control,
> so that "debian/rules binary" does not use root nor fakeroot.
>
> Reference:
> https://git.dpkg.org/git/dpkg/dpkg.git/tree/doc/rootless-builds.txt
>
> Shall we add "Rules-Requires-Root: no" to all our packages that build
> fine with it?
>
> Advantages:
>
>  - pkg-perl as Debian's Avant Guarde™ has value: we have lots of packages
>    so we can provide good early testing coverage of such new features,
>    increasing confidence in the spec & implementation, before they are
>    enabled by default.
>  - <insert yours here>
>
> Disadvantages:
>
>  - Manual work needed on each package.
>    Rebutal: presumably "dh-make-perl refresh" or cme could tentatively add
>    "Rules-Requires-Root: no" if there's no Rules-Requires-Root field yet.
>    And when we notice the package does not support it, then we would record
>    this via "Rules-Requires-Root: binary-targets", so we don't have to try
>    it every time.
>  - Might become the default later, and then we'd have to remove it again.
>    Rebutal: while removing it again would be cleaner, we don't really "have to"
>    do it.
>  - <insert yours here>

In practice it seems that some people have started to add
"Rules-Requires-Root: no" to some packages. And lintian mentions it.

As I like consistency :) I'd like to bring this up again: Do we want
it for all packages? If yes a change in dh-make-perl and probably a
mass commit [0] would be necessary steps. And/or cme?

Opinion?

[0] if it's not there and if the package doesn't use chmod maybe? Are
there other blockers for R³: no?

--
 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe