Re: perl versioned Provides in sid again

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 18:55:41 +0000, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 08, 2018 at 04:57:19PM +0100, gregor herrmann wrote:
> > On Fri, 07 Dec 2018 17:55:55 +0200, Niko Tyni wrote:

> > > No immediate action is required from packages affected by this change,
> > > but they can now gradually start moving from the current idiom
> > >  Depends: perl (>= x) | libfoo-bar-perl (>= y)
> > > to just the 'libfoo-bar-perl (>= y)' part. This will need some changes
> > > to lintian recommendations as well.
>
> I've submitted #917967 to drop the outdated recommendation.
> (I've also proposed a policy update in #761219).

Thanks!

> > And a change in libconfig-model-dpkg-perl, and maybe also in
> > dh-make-perl.
>
> There are two modifications that could be made to the logic for
> constructing depends relating to dual lived modules:
>
> 1) remove the alternate depends on perl when a versioned dep is needed
> 2) always depend on the virtual package name, regardless of whether a
>    version is needed
>
> 2) is appealing because it removes the special casing completely, but
> would probably make quite a few fields longer. Maybe with automated
> tooling this is okay, though.

I'm afraid I still don't understand the options, or more exactly
option 2.
Option 1 is, I guess, Niko's example from above. Would option 2 then
be just 'libfoo-bar-perl'? If so I'd say yes, that was the idea IMO
(unless Foo::Bar is included in the oldest perl version in the
archive). How would this make "a few fields longer"?

> Thoughts? Note: I am not really volunteering to update the tooling,
> that's best done with those more familiar with them.

Ack.
But it seems we need a spec first anyway :)

 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe
   `-   NP: Simon and Garfunkel: The Boxer