Re: embedded modules at build time, and inc::latest best practice discussion

On Mon, 02 Sep 2019 10:53:55 +0200, Clément Hermann wrote:

> > - Maybe it would be clearer to talk about "third-party modules" or
> >   "embedded third-party modules" as that is the point of the
> >   initiative? This might save us references to Module::Build (where
> >   ony one ist left, the other which was originally there is already
> >   gone anyway).
> Yes. That is my point anyway, and this is indeed clearer.

Ok, cool.

> > - In the first paragraph I'm not sure I understand the word "Tests".
> I meant module tests. I agree it's less problematic for tests than for
> build, since nothing ends up in the resulting package, but I think it's
> better to explicitely build-depends on third-party modules anyway. The
> rule could be more relaxed if the module is only used for tests, though.

Ah, ok. I was just confused by the capital T in Tests :)
And I agree that we should treat build-build-dependencies and
test-build-dependencies the same.

> > - In the Module::Install paragraph, there seems to be something missing
> >   - what exactly was unsuccessful? I assume removing the embedded
> >   inc/Module/Install* parts and using the packaged one.
> >   (Interestingly I seem to remember that this has worked previously
> >   but it also failed for me in my last try …)
> >   Ah, maybe "unsuccessful" → "harmless"?
> I remember it failing, but I failed to check why in a timely fashion,
> and now I don't remember exactly what failed…
> Indeed "mostly harmless"

Ok

> > - For Alien::* it's more that that they are difficult to remove than
> >   to package?
> yes, right.

Ok

> > Using B<Modules::Install> in Debian packages has so far proven mostly
> > harmless and is considered acceptable; replacing the embedded
> > fragments with the packaged C<libmodule-install-perl> doesn't always
> > work, but we expect that for a new package the packager would at
> > least try to use the packaged version.
> maybe "for a new package or when upgrading to last upstream version" ?

Good idea.
("to the lastest upstream version"?)

> Looks good to me!
> Thanks for taking the time to look into this :)

Thanks!

I've updated the policy.pod in website.git/policy_on_inc.
(Sorry for the huge diff due to wording × rewrapping.)

 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe
   `-   NP: Alanis Moristte: That I Would Be Good