Re: Module version with leading 'v' ??

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 12:51:56 +0200, Dominique Dumont wrote:

> I'm changing the version scheme to include the supported version of openssh.
> The tool chain I use insist that the module begins with 'v'. E.g next version
> of Config::Model::OpenSsh should be v2.7.9.1.

According to the documentation of the version plugin, both old
decimal and new dotted-decimal versions (the latter with /^v/) should
estill work, but yeah, some tools might enforce the modern way.

> Will that be a problem for the perl package version ?

I don't think so, they are quite wide-spread.

> Can I drop the leading 'v' for the Debian package version ?

Yes, we also do this in our default debian/watch file(s).

Some writeups:
http://www.modernperlbooks.com/mt/2009/07/version-confusion.html
https://perlhacks.com/2016/12/version-numbers/
(I think there's another nice article somewhere but I can't find it.)

 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe
   `-