Re: Sponsorship request for Debian Perl sprint, June 2019

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 05:38:10AM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Dominic> Hello, We're planning a Debian Perl sprint in Hamburg
>     Dominic> coinciding with the mini-debconf there:
>
>     Dominic> https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2019/DebianPerlSprint
>
>     Dominic> The number of attendees is 3 and the agenda is listed on
>     Dominic> the wiki page.  We request a travel and accommodation
>     Dominic> budget of 1050 EUR for travel and accommodation for two
>     Dominic> participants.
>
>     Dominic> Additional sponsorship is provided by csc.fi.
>
>     Dominic> Please let us know if you need any more information!
>
> Approved with two considerations.
>
> Your request is relatively high compared to the Debian Edu sprint's
> request.  They are asking for different things, and certainly if any of
> your travel is from outside Europe, your request totally makes sense.
> I'm not going to micro manage other than to ask you to be frugal here.

Thanks Sam. Travel is a mixture of from mainland Europe and UK. I realised
that part of the request included accommodation (on my side) that was
more expensive than the on-site accommodation - this is based on my
practical requirements around travelling back very early in the morning
- and that this wasn't consistent with Debian guidelines about expenses.

As a result, I will only claim the portion of accommodation costs
that would be covered by the on-site costs and not the full amount which
should reduce the total a bit.

> You are welcome to try and use FFIS as your trusted organization.  Be
> aware that the last few people who tried that never got their money and
> had a huge administrative mess.  If you succeed it would be great for
> Debian, but you are probably better off using Debian France.
> This approval is valid for either TO.

Thank you for this advice. We will look into this and decide which
route to take.

Best,
Dominic.