Geo::Point, Geo::Proj4 and PROJ 6

The Geo::Proj4 module is not compatible with the recently released PROJ
6, because it uses the deprecated projects.h API that has been removed
in PROJ 6.

Upstream has indicated that he's not been using it for over a decade
[0]. Hence there still is no progress on moving away from projects.h.

The popcon data suggests that the only users of Geo::Proj4 do so via
Geo::Point. The number of votes for both packages are less than a dozen.

I intent to request removal of libgeo-proj4-perl once we start the
transition to PROJ 6, which implies that libgeo-point-perl needs to be
removed as well.

If you want to keep libgeo-point-perl in Debian, it either needs to not
require libgeo-proj4-perl or the latter needs to be updated to support
the proj.h API. And if you want to keep libgeo-point-perl,
libgeo-proj4-perl needs to be adopted too, I no longer have any interest
in maintaining the package, as I don't consider it to have a future.

What do you want to do with libgeo-point-perl & libgeo-proj4-perl?

[0] https://github.com/markov2/perl5-Geo-Proj4/issues/1

Kind Regards,

Bas

--