Re: embedded modules at build time, and inc::latest best practice discussion

On Sat, 08 Dec 2018 16:05:23 +0100, Clément Hermann wrote:

> In other cases, like  libalien-wxwidgets-perl [3], unless I'm missing
> something, nothing is done, not even an unversionned build-depends, and
> I don't see e.g. libarchive-extract-perl as a dep of any build-depends,
> so I guess it's a bug? Aren't the inc/ modules used at build time in
> this case?

Yes, they are.
Traditionally, while we were always unhappy about copies of perl
modules in inc/, we just held our noses and used them (unless they
were old/buggy).

If we want to change this we need to write this down in our policy
and find a common way how to handle this situation across our
packages.

> It's not hard to detect those, and if it is and once we agree on the
> right way to handle this I'll just add proper build-deps wherever we
> have the case. Actually, maybe we should have a lintian check about this?

I guess there are different cases, the most prominent being
Module::Install (which seems to get less and less popular);
inc::latest; random Test::* modules; probably others. So we'd need to
decide what to check for and what to do in those cases.

Or maybe only inc::latest is a problem as it leads to kind of
unpredictable builds (different versions used)?

> Comments and thoughts welcome!

Thanks for starting this discussion :)

 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe
   `-   NP: Beatles