Re: Alioth → Salsa

On Sun, 11 Feb 2018 10:32:57 +0000, Damyan Ivanov wrote:

> > >   * E-mail notifications
> > >     - It's working: https://wiki.debian.org/Salsa/Doc#Email_notifications
> > >       + using list address or dispatch@tracker.debian.org (do we use that
> > >         currently ?)
> > >       + it needs to be enable on each project where we want it
> >
> > Also set by `dpt salsa configurerepo', to
> > pkg-perl-cvs-commits@lists.alioth.debian.org.
> > dam wanted to run a survey on the list if it's still needed; if not
> > we can remove this part from dpt-salsa.
> I have mailed pkg-perl-cvs-commit@alioth.d.o two weeks ago. No replies
> so far.

Ok.

> I.O.W. I think pkg-perl-cvs-commits can be considered as retired and
> of no concern for the migration.

Ack. Removed from dpt-salsa.

> > >   * Accounts
> > >     - contact current project members? just the mailing list ?
> > >       + each member needs to create their own account and ask to join the team
> > Needs to be done.
> > Join requests are turned off after previous discussions, the web
> > interface points to the list.
> > We might also consider adding people who have been active in the last
> > year?
> scripts/committer-stats tells me there are 52 contributors with
> commits from the past year.

Sounds about right :)

> > Adding works via the web interface obviuosly, or via `dpt salsa
> > adduser'.
> The paranoid me prefers adding by request, but perhaps mass-adding
> last year's contributors is the way to go. It would be easier for
> contributors and admins, and the yearly activity-ping nicely takes
> care of the seemingly inactive contributors.

However we do the activity ping :) (It currently relies on alioth).

I'm fine either way, pre-adding known active contributors might just
save some work.

> > >     * repository migration
> > >       - do we want to transfer all repos? probably yes. What about attic/ ?
> > >         + there are scripts floating around
> > >         + probably all without subteams (but we could maybe use a non-subteam aware
> > >           script for the packages/ namespace)
> > >         + and not written in perl :)
> > >         + after the final transfer: a pre-receive hook on alioth in all repos
> > >           with exit 1 and a helpful message
> > >         + we might need a script which can replay the migration?
> >
> > I've committed a first version of `alioth2salsa' to scripts.git
> > earlier today. Written in shell :) using gitlab-api-v4 and dpt-salsa.
> > And not (yet) idempotent, i.e. it fails if a project already exists.

Side note for for gitlab-api-v4: It needs a config:

% cat ~/.gitlab-api-v4-config
{
   "private_token" : "ABC",
   "url" : "https://salsa.debian.org/api/v4/";
}

% grep SALSA ~/.dpt.conf
DPT_SALSA_PRIVATE_TOKEN=ABC

With the token ("ABC") coming from
https://salsa.debian.org/profile/personal_access_tokens

> Further ideas (that I'd like working on, but may be not immediately):
>  - try to use local repositories when available (after a pull) to ease
>    the burden on alioth (at the expense of local bandwidth)

I've tried something like this (for dpt-salsa pushrepo) and noticed
that this doesn't push not-locally-checkedout branches easily.
So I think importing directly from Alioth is the safer way to get the
exact same repo (or at least less work).

>  - put a "you can't work here anymore" stopper to the alioth
>    repository, before the migration, revert it if the migration fails

Ack.

>  - incremental migration

Hm?

>  - (perhaps in a separate script) mass-change the remote's address of
>    the local repositories. If done by alioth2salsa, that may be used
>    as a flag that the migration is done (for the incremental function)

Right, changing the local remotes is something I also noticed
elsewhere in this long list :)

> > The hooks need to be set before the actual migration.
> Which hooks do you mean?

In my words:

In your words:
| >  - put a "you can't work here anymore" stopper to the alioth
| >    repository, before the migration, revert it if the migration fails

In your actions:
https://deb.li/bsSd

Thanks!

> > >       - redirect map:
> > >       https://salsa.debian.org/salsa/AliothRewriter
> > >         + mass-commit Vcs-* changes?
> > >         + do we really need that or is the anonscm.d.o rewriter the long term
> > >           solution too?
> > Needs to be done at the actual migration (the rewriter).
> That would still need the mass-change of Vcs-*.

Ack but that's not time-critical if the rewriter is in place.

> > >       * .mrconfig (currently in meta.git)
> > >         - piggy-backs on pet data (used by split-json-info in meta.git, also compare-hashes)
> > >         - updated by setup-repository/remove-repository/rename-repository (in meta.git)
> > >         - future?
> >
> > That's a bit hairy. I've added `dpt salsa mrconfig' and `dpt salsa
> > githashes' which (currently only output to stdout and don't write
> > files but) might serve as building blocks for getting something as we
> > have now with our .mrconfig and split-json-info and compare-hashes.
> >
> > Maybe someone has time to look into this?
> > (Ideally dam as he has written the original machinery :))
>
> I think we can start without the pet/hashes trickery. Maybe salsa is
> quick enough to make all this obsolete.

Yup, maybe this works.
But then we still want some kind of dynamic .mrconfig to have a
current list of repos.

Maybe a template .mrconfig in meta.git, and then dpt-salsa mrconfig
takes it and fills in the current list of repos?

> > >       * our website: website.git
> > >         - alexm has been working on an update with sphinx
> > >         - pages currently not yet enabled on salsa, should work with the sphinx version?
> > >         - lots of references to alioth/moszumanska
> > alexm and nodens are looking into the GitLab pages / CI / ...
> > thingie; thanks!
> I wonder if the salsa's wiki option is suitable for our needs. Less
> tricks make life simpler :) Modifications can be restricted to group
> members. The cost is converting from POD to markdown.

True but an additional cost is having to edit the wiki in the browser

> > In general I think that, once the naming is clear, the website
> > generation is sorted out, and alioth2salsa and dpt-salsa are
> > reviewed, we could actually do the transition. The SnowCamp days (Feb
> > 22nd - Feb 25th) look like a good opportunity to me?
> Sure. Having the transition done in a weekend looks very nice.

Cool.

> Maybe having a check/task list in gobby would help to make the rush
> more streamlined? (just an idea; sometimes I am over-structuring
> things)

I think that's a good idea, to get the steps done in the right order
and have responsibilities and small jobs for people willing to help.

> -- dam,
>    excited to see the migration so close to reality

:)

 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe
   `-   NP: Funny Van Dannen: Traum Traum