Re: help wanted for DPNhtml2mail.pl: deprecated encoding pragma with perl 5.26

-=| Cédric Boutillier, 03.03.2018 13:57:24 +0100 |=-
> In the publicity team, we have some problems with a Perl script we use.
> A warning about encoding was transformed to fatal error with perl 5.26.
> Since this script is used to convert announcements from the website to
> emails, we will soon need it for the release of 9.4.
>
> Please see the details below, and keep the debian-publicity in copy of
> the mail for your appreciated expertise.

I think that replacing

 use encoding 'utf-8';

with

  use utf8::all;

(packaged as libutf8-all-perl, available since oldoldstable)
That also turns utf-8 semantics on @ARGV, all other file handles and
several other OS interfaces. I would give it a try, though, since it
is just one line and probably what you want in the long term.

Alternatively, you may want to use

 use utf8;
 binmode(STDIN, 'utf-8');
 binmode(STDOUT, 'utf-8');