Re: Membership Ping 2017: Results

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 07:45:09 +0200, Alex Muntada wrote:

> > > Remaining task:
> > > * Dropping removed accounts from Uploaders.
> > Are you going to do this mass-commit as well or would you
> > rather hand it over to someone else?
> I've never performed a mass-commit before, so I'd like to try ;)

Great!

> I see that there's pkg-perl-tools/examples/mass-commit, which I
> plan to review before running anything.

Right, that's what I wrote after getting tired of long shell
one-liners. (It's just a loop over all packages with some git commits
and changelog entries; and it needs editing in the "main part" to set
a commit message and do the actual work.)

> However, if there's some
> recommendation or experience that anyone would like to share, I'd
> appreciate it.

For last year's removal I wrote in mass-commit's "main part"
something like (pseudo-code):

for u in $(cat file-with-people-to-be-removed); do # or while read u ... < $file ?
    MSG="Remove $u from Uploaders."
    cme modify dpkg-control source Uploaders:-~"/$u/"
done

A trap I noticed was that some people used different names in
different packages, so in file-with-people-to-be-removed I ended up
with something like
    Susan C. Uploader
    Susan Uploader
    Sue Uploader
to catch all of them (in practice I missed at least one person's
variation of their name).

PS: There's a dpt-rename-uploader(1) (which could be rewritten to use
cme, and kind of duplicates the loop from mass-commit), but no
dpt-remove-uploader(1) yet :)

 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at/ - Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
   `-   NP: Cat Stevens: Come On Baby