Re: invitation for you and your packages to join the pkg-perl team

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 09:52:39 -0500, Carlo Segre wrote:

> Frankly, I was part of the debian-perl group some time ago but once the RCS
> was transitioned to git, I fell away since we tend to use svn in my research
> group and I am not a full-time programmer but a physics professor.

And I still remember the times when you sponsored uploads for me
before I became a DD ...
(And I also remember that I was initially not so happy about the move
to git -- but in the meantime I wouldn't want to miss it.)

> I am hoping to
> have the time to be able to package this new perl program but at a minimum
> (not including building the documentation) it does require some additional
> modules not yet in Debian.  Specifically,
>
> Encoding::FixLatin
> File::Monitor::Lite
> Mooseex::Types::Laxnum
> Pod::ProjectDocs

I'll try and have a look at them.
(Unless someone beats me to it, help welcome.)

> The fact that they are not in CPAN makes them of little
> interest to the broader Perl community, however. The sam applies to three
> other packages which are already being maintained by the pkg-perl team:
>
> libxray-absorption-perl
> libxray-scattering-perl
> libxray-spacegroup-perl
>
> This approach has become more complicated with the newest version of Bruce's
> program, called demeter.  He now has many more small Perl modules which get
> installed with the main program and I am not sure that it is a good idea to
> break them all out.  It might be wiser to remove libchemistry-formula-perl,
> and the other three above, from the archive since it only has a reverse
> dependency on horae, which will be replaced by the new program called
> demeter in the future.

Ack, if these are basically private modules of horae/demeter then it
probably doesn't make much sense to package them separately.
Maybe you can file RM bugs (or ask us to do them) when they are not
needed anymore.

 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at/ - Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
   `-   NP: Trio: Da da da