Re: invitation for you and your packages to join the pkg-perl team

Hi,

> Subject: invitation for you and your packages to join the pkg-perl team

O.o

I assume that you know, that I'm already a (more or less active) team
member. And I'm well aware of the fact that I maintain perl-related
official Debian packages which are not maintained under the Debian
Perl Team's umbrella.

Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> libcgi-github-webhook-perl
> librun-parts-perl

JFTR: You're missing dh-dist-zilla.

They're all not maintained under the Debian Peal Team's umbrella on
purpose as they're those perl-related packages where I'm also (one of
the) upstream developer(s) and which were written out of own needs.

I always found those team packages, where a team member (and usually
main uploader) is also the upstream developer awkward to work on for
other team members, because depending on who works on the package,
fixing upstream bugs is either done by doing it yourself in the
upstream repo (if you are upstream) or you are adding patches for
things which would be better done upstream or you are nagging the one
guy with upstream access because you don't want to add patches to
packages which we "nearly" have upstream access.

Common examples which immediately come to my mind with that topic:

* cme
* libconfig-model-*

(This is nothing personal against Dominique. In contrary, I'm
impressed that he can work that way without getting insane. He's
probably the only one who fully goes through that way of maintaining
his own Perl modules as team-maintained Debian packages _and_ who's
packages are important enough for Debian to quickly pop up if there
are bugs in it. :-)

Additionally, I prefer to maintain upstream and packaging code in the
same git repo (and even in the same branch) if I'm upstream, too, even
for non-native packages. This does not comply with the Debian Perl
Team's expected repository layout and would make it awkward for others
to work on, too.

So, no, I won't maintain Perl packages, where I'm upstream, too, and
which I primarly wrote for my own needs, under the Debian Perl Team,
be it current or future packages.

P.S.: This does not count for debian-specific native packages which I
adopted for Debian respectively the Debian Perl Team like debsums or
equivs. There I consider the Debian Perl Team as a whole to be
upstream, not only myself. That's a huge difference from Perl modules
I wrote primarily for my own needs, also on an emotional level.

P.P.S. and JFTR: If the case that I become MIA ever happens, the
Debian Perl Team may take over any of my perl-related packages (after
having discussed it with potential co-maintainers).

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, https://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin