Minutes of the DebConf 2017 BoF: "use Perl; # Annual meeting of the Debian Perl Group"

On Wed, 09 Aug 2017 22:10:19 -0400, gregor herrmann wrote:

> Just a quick reminder: The annual BoF at DebConf is going to be held
> in a couple of hours:
> https://debconf17.debconf.org/talks/22/
> 2017-08-10, 12:00 DebConf time = 16:00 UTC

Thanks to everyone attending the BoF on-site or via stream and IRC!

Below are the slightly edited notes from the Gobby document.
Additions and corrections welcome.

###

Welcome, who's here?
--------------------

* Introduce yourself if you like

on IRC:
- alexm
- ntyni
- carandraug
- smash
- carnil
- knowledgejunkie

in the room
- simon
- intrigeri
- cstamas
- Dom
- Martin Berends
- bremner
- nodens
- jonas
- gregoa

on gobby:
- axhn

Sprints
--------------------

* Lloret de mar, May 2017
  https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2017/DebianPerlSprint

  - perl 5.26 uploaded to experimental
  - autopkgtest improvements: run prove recursively
  - see the report for details:
    https://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/docs/sprint-lloret2017/report-lloret2017.html

* DebCamp / Montréal, July/August 2017
  https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2017/DebianPerlDebCamp

  - see upcoming report for details

* next year?

 - Another Sprint?
 - there is general interest
 - again in Spring
 - maybe combined with another event like suncamp

Low-hanging fruit sessions
--------------------------

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianPerlGroup/LHF

* look back on 2016/17

  - 21st of each month, first 2 at 18:00 UTC, then alternating between 17:00 UTC
    and 19:00 UTC
  - 11 happened, 2 cancelled
    (vs. 8:2 in 2015/2016)
  - 5.72 participants on average
    (vs. 6.25 in 2015/2016)
    17:00 5.5, 18:00 5.5, 19:00 6.0
  - 20 unique persons
    (vs. 14 in 2015/2016)
  - between 1 and 11 times, 3.1 on average
    (vs. 1-8, 3.64 on average)
  - topics:
    + packaging: new upstream releases, bug fixes, reproducible, autopkgtest
    + QA across packages: dot-in-@INC, perl5.24, perl5.26
    + discussions: m-a:foreign, "enc2xs -C", random FTBFS, sprint,
      stretch release notes

* look forward to 2017/18

  - keep the agenda uptodate?
    https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianPerlGroup/LHF/Agenda
  - defined goals
  - "team meetings"? people are generally ok with also having points
    for discussion
  - we continue with the dates/times as last year

Reproducible builds notifications
---------------------------------

turn them off (intri → h01ger)

Team status
-----------

* commit stats for last year: committer-stats (scripts.git)

  - 54 persons with at least one commit in the last 365 days
    (vs. 58 in 2014/2015, 56 in 2015/2016)
  - 13 people with > 100 commits (and 1 with 99 :))
    (vs. 11 in 2014/2015, 14 in 2015/2016)

* ping inactive members: find-inactive-contributors + mail-merge (scripts.git)

  - done in 2016. results: https://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2016/08/msg00017.html
  - started by alexm in August 2017
  - 71 pings sent: 14 keep, 4 remove, 20 bounce; 37 estimated removals so far.

Perl 5.26
---------

How did it go? Anything to learn for 5.28?

- full archive rebuild once (to catch packages only using perl-base)

Stretch freeze/release
----------------------

How did it go? Anything to learn for buster?

Freezy policy: various opinions/pros/cons about not uploading
'normal' updates during the freeze.

* this is a general question for Debian
* rc bugs especially at freeze need more bg knowledge, time, expertise
* next freeze is not for a while, so talk again

Projects for next time, items for discussion

* git-debcherry - the end of an experiment?
  - end it

* perl packages not part of perl team. I have came accross of a few
  perl packages not part of the team and to me it looks like they
  never worked. I guess someone packaged them to answer a RFP but not
  actually used it. I fixed the ones I saw but this may be a bit more
  widespread? Just enabling the autopkgtest on those packages was
  enough to show the issues.
  - dom offered to revive the offer from last year to identiy
    packages which are not team maintained and may welcome team
    maintainership

###

--
 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at/ - Debian Developer https://www.debian.org