Re: Git repos: missing tags

On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 09:13:16PM +0200, Hilko Bengen wrote:
> * gregor herrmann:
>
> > https://pet.debian.net/pkg-perl/pet.cgi shows some repos in the
> > "missing tags" section which indicates missing pushes. From my
> > experience there are more repos which don't have all tags or branches
> > (upstream, pristine-tar) pushed, so a collective round of `dpt push'
> > might be warranted.
> >
> > [...]
> > sepia
> > Hilko Bengen
>
> My local branch branch up to tag debian/0.992-6 and the master branch on
> git.debian.org have diverged by 3 commits each. What should I do?
>
> Should I rebase those three commits onto my branch and git push --force
> or should I rather create a merge commit?

You should not force push to master.

However, if you rebase your local master against the origin master,
you should not have to force push. Rebasing is preferred over merging
when integrating local changes as it creates a clean history.

This is all assuming that the changes are still relevant and correct
and represent changes made since the last package upload. It sounds like
you should also delete your local tag, and compare the origin master
with the source package from the archive to make sure they are in
sync before making a new tag against the relevant commit. It may be
that an artificial catch up commit is needed if there isn't already
a commit that represents the archive package on the remote side.

Cheers,
Dominic.