Re: Newbie Packager would like to join the group / Feedback for first ever .deb packages

[moving from pkg-perl-maintainers to debian-perl which is better
as a discussion list]

On Sun, Dec 24, 2017 at 06:47:25PM +0100, Maik Wagner wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> merry Christmas to all of you.

Welcome and festive greetings,

> I had some spare time today and fiddled around building my first ever
> .deb packages.
>
> I built these packages using dh-make-perl on ubuntu 16.04 server and
> they are about the following three libraries:
>

> MIME::Lite::TT::HTML
> GD::Thumbnail
> DBIx::XHTML_Table
>
> I am very keen on maintaining these packages in Debian but I am not sure
> if my skill are sufficient and if you could teach me something about
> packaging this would be much appreciated.
>
> These are the steps I took:
>
> - wget of the source from CPAN
> - running dh-make-perl
> - debuild -S
> - dput into my PPA on Ubuntu which is at:
> https://launchpad.net/~mtwagner/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
>
> Is this the correct way of doing things? What would be different for
> these packages in Debian? What would it take to become a maintainer of
> these? Does dh-make-perl automatically resolve dependencies of Perl
> modules, such as for DBIx you would need the DBI module.

You've taken more or less the same approach Debian folk do for
officially-maintained perl module packages, with a few variations
and enhancements. You can read all about how the Debian Perl group
maintains packages and how to join in at
<http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/>. If you'd like to join the group
you can do so by replying to the list with your alioth account name.

Cheers,
Dominic.