Re: Mandating use of /usr/bin/perl in Policy

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 09:05:41AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:

> Disagree. I think forcing this is not good. We should at least have
>   /usr/bin/env perl
> as allowed option, too. There *are* reasons why a sysadm wants to
> replace the perl shipped in Debian, or wants to override/test things.
> Having hard-coded /usr/bin/perl there is not optimal.

No, for perl programs shipped by Debian, that can only be expected
to work reliably if invoked with /usr/bin/perl - any other perl that
happens to be in a user's $PATH might not have the correct modules installed,
or might have other behavioural differences that break things. Note that
this change is about fixing a long-standing inconsistency between the
main part of policy and the perl sub-policy; this requirement has been
a must in the perl policy since 2001.

Speaking to your arguments, the user is of course free to use a different
perl for applications installed locally, but this should not be the case
for packages in Debian.

Dominic.

[1] <https://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2012/07/msg00138.html>