Re: Reaching out to maintainers of non-team-maintained packages

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 01:09:52PM +0100, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> I've now sent out these pings, and I will keep track of responses and
> send a summary in a few weeks. Reply-To set to the mailing list so that
> people can help with adding people/adopting packages if they are able.

More than a few weeks, but anyway - in case anyone is interested on
the impact this had on team health:

between 20th August and 3rd November we received responses from
26 maintainers concerning 47 packages. We also received bounces
from 6 addresses, which resulted in one new MIA report[0].

Within those 26 responses:

10 maintainers requested that 13 packages be
adopted, and most of those have now been done (see [1]).

3 maintainers didn't want us to adopt 6 packages and/or have
them team maintained. One of those maintainers subsequently made them
team maintained.

5 maintainers wanted to join the team, for the benefit of 16
packages. 8 of those packages are now team maintained.

There were various other situations, such as already orphaned
packages which were adopted by the team (tracked at [1]).

Overall it seems we gained (relatively speaking) more packages than new
active team members, but even so, I think this was a good exercise
for keeping the Debian Perl ecosystem healthy. Thanks to all those
who joined the team as a result or adopted packages on our behalf.

Cheers,
Dominic.

[0] Packages maintained by maintainers with bouncing email addresses:
    libsnmp-multi-perl, libnet-ipaddress-perl, libtext-string-hexconvert-perl,
    libgetopt-mixed-perl, libcrypt-des-ede3-perl, libdata-buffer-perl,
    libbiblio-isis-perl, libcrypt-gpg-perl
[1] <https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianPerlGroup/OpenTasks/UpForAdoption#preview>