Re: RFC: release-notes about Perl upgrade

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 03:49:10PM +0000, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> Here's a proposal for an addition to the stretch release notes about
> the Perl upgrade. The same is available as HTML at
> https://people.debian.org/~dmn/release-notes.amd64.html/ch-information.en.html#perl

Thanks very much for working on this! And sorry about the delay in
replying.

> 5.3.6. Perl changes that may break things
>
>     Note
>
>     This section applies to code maintained outside Debian 9 - local,
>     third-party or legacy Perl scripts and modules.
>
>       * Some modules have been removed from Perl core and are now
>         shipped in separate packages. Notable examples are CGI,
>         available in the libcgi-pm-perl package, and Module::Build,
>         available in the libmodule-build-perl package.
>
>       * The current working directory (.) has been removed from the
>         default list of include directories, @INC. This may affect
>         usage of require(), do() etc., where the arguments are files
>         in the current directory.
>
>       * The full list of changes in Perl since the version in Debian
>         8 is available in perl522delta (https://metacpan.org/pod/
>         release/RJBS/perl-5.22.0/pod/perldelta.pod) and perl524delta
>         (https://metacpan.org/pod/release/RJBS/perl-5.24.0/pod/
>         perldelta.pod) .
>
> Thanks to gregoa, olly, bremner and nicomen who gave suggestions on
> IRC.
>
> My wish list for improvements are the title and (a link to) some
> suggestion how to fix code broken by the no-dot-in-INC change.

This is still very much in the being-written stage upstream, and
we kind of missed the ball on providing comprehensive documentation
for it in Debian (though we did spend some time in mails to d-s-a and
d-d-a they weren't focussed on this particular breakage for end-users).

There is a thread upstream now at
<http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2017/03/msg243763.html>
which I hope will result in text that can be reused or at least borrowed
from in the release notes.

It might be worth submitting your existing text now and more text
can be added when available in the next week or so?

Cheers,
Dominic.