Re: package build failure: "No rule to make target"

"Robert J. Clay" <rjclay@gmail.com> writes:

> There is an ITP [1] I've been working on, wherein Debian package build
> attempts just result in an error lke the following:

> make[1]: *** No rule to make target
> '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.20/Config.pm', needed by 'Makefile'.
> Stop.

> It comes up when attempting to use 'gbp buildpackage' or 'debuild' [2],
> under stretch, sid, or jessie.  It does not come up when doing a normal
> Perl module build ('perl Makefile.PL && make test', for instance).  It
> also does not come up attempting a Debian test build of another ITP I
> have.  (Can't finish that one because it's dependent on this one...)

Usually this means that you've accidentally included a generated Makefile
in the source package and are trying to use it, instead of running perl
Makefile.PL to regenerate the Makefile.  (And that generated Makefile was
generated with an older version of Perl, namely 5.20 instead of 5.24 which
is the current version in Debian unstable.)