Membership ping 2016: results

During DebConf I started (with the help of zeha and bremner) the
"annual" membership ping. All accounts which are members of the
pkg-perl project on Alioth and haven't touched a file in two years
were contacted and asked if they still want to be project members.

Thanks to everyone who replied, and thanks for nice mails!

As the announced deadline of "End of July" can be considered passed, I
did the evaluation of the (non-)reactions today, and here are the
results:

279 members at the start
206 inactive/contacted (= 73.48% of members)

Breakdown of reactions:

  4 B:4                (=  1.94% of contacted)
 18 B:5                (=  8.74% of contacted)
  1 R:CHANGE           (=  0.49% of contacted)
 28 R:LEAVE            (= 13.59% of contacted)
 31 R:REMAIN           (= 15.05% of contacted)
124 -                  (= 60.19% of contacted)

    Legend:
    B:4      temporary bounce, timed out eventually
    B:5      permanent bounce
    R:CHANGE replied: change from -guest to DD account
    R:LEAVE  replied: account can be removed
    R:REMAIN replied: keep account

For the bounced mails I decided to give them the benefit of the
doubt, and kept them. Also I counted some not very verbose replies as
"R:REMAIN". I then went ahead, spent some time with the Alioth web
interface *cough* and removed those accounts where I had an explicit
"please remove the account" or no reaction at all.

In numbers:

Removed: "R:LEAVE" and "-" = 28 + 124 = 152
         = 73.79% of contacted
           54.48% of all members
New member count: 127

As mentioned in the original mail, each removed account can be
re-added immediately if requested. The same is of course true if I
have made any mistake in the categorisation of the replies or in the
web interface clicking.

Remaining questions:
- There was talk about dropping the removed accounts also from the
  Uploaders field in our packages in git, as non-project-members are
  by consequence not working on those packages anymore. Unless there
  are concerns I'll put this on my TODO list.
- During the BoF at DebConf there was also the idea of giving the
  list of removed accounts to the MIA team. I'm a bit unsure here, as
  not working on pkg-perl currently doesn't mean that someone is
  inactive in Debian in general but I'm open to proposals on how to
  proceed here.

 .''`.  Homepage https://info.comodo.priv.at/ - OpenPGP key 0xBB3A68018649AA06
 : :' : Debian GNU/Linux user, admin, and developer -  https://www.debian.org/
   `-   NP: Astrud Gilberto: All That's Left Is To Say Goodbye