Re: Replacing Vcs-Git URIs to use https instead of git protocol

Hi,

Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
> Git 1.6.6 is even in Squeeze, so I can't immagine there are out git
> servers set up with the 'dump http' variant. I might be proved wrong
> though :-).

That was approximately my thought, too.

> Looking/Skimming quickly though over the fusionforge vhost
> configs, it enables (/etc/gforge/httpd.conf.d/vhost-scm.conf) the git
> smart http transport integration.

Good!

> Fine if I go ahead?

Yes! :-)

Thanks for bringing this topic up anyways, as I was reluctant to
follow lintian's advise in my packages so far. I'll now at least do
for Alioth hosted stuff.

intrigeri wrote:
> Just curious: anyone knows if these performance penalties apply to
> small repos like the vast majority of ours?

IIRC yes, especially if no "git gc" had been done as it IIRC fetches
each file under .git with a separate HTTP request. At least I remember
vaguely that it indeed was noticably slower even for small repos, so I
stopped using it whereever possible and set up a git daemon on my own
git server.

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin