Re: Perl sprint 2016: New venue suggestion in Zurich

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 08:57:28PM +0100, gregor herrmann wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Feb 2016 18:17:22 +0100, Axel Beckert wrote:
>
> Let's try to sort out the accomodation question:
>
> > * No hotel nearby:
> >   http://map.search.ch/Z%C3%BCrich,ETH-H%C3%B6nggerberg-Haltestelle?poi=hotel&x=-131m&y=-882m&z=64
> >
> >   The closest hotel (ca. 1km) seems to be
> >   http://www.hotel-kronenhof.ch/ and there's a direct bus every half
> >   an hour. There are also Novotel, Ibis and Ibis Budget hotels about
> >   2-3km away (either changing twice or walking 500m and changing
> >   once).
> >
> >   Admittedly I have not much of an idea where in Zurich you could stay
> >   for a reasonable price. The Youth Hostel is clearly on the "wrong"
> >   side of the city (5-6km linear distance across the city).
>
> Another hotel in a similar distance to the venue is
> http://www.budgethostel.ch/location.htm

That one looks good to me, if we're going for near-the-venue.

> (Detected by looking at booking.com using the map there, and searching for
> "ETH Hönggerberg, Zürich, Switzerland" as destination.)
>
> Seems there's also
> https://www.booking.com/hotel/ch/casa-kunz-reyes-zurich.en-gb.html
> nearby.
>

> OTOH it might be nice to stay in the city center and use the public
> transport connection to the ETH campus.

Agree, I think all other things being equal I would prefer to
stay in the city centre if it makes for more interesting evening
activities.

> http://www.easyhotel.com/hotels/switzerland/zuerich/ would be quite
> cheap, Salvatore also pointed to
> http://www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-2942-ibis-zurich-city-west/index.shtml
> (and there's also
> http://www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-3184-ibis-budget-zurich-city-west/index.shtml).
> Oh, Axel already mentioned them above!
>
> booking.com has other things for "Zürich" and restricted to "Hostel"
> or to -100 EUR for a double room or to "Aparments"; random picks:
> https://www.booking.com/hotel/ch/olympiahotelzurich.en-gb.html
> https://www.booking.com/hotel/ch/otter.en-gb.html
> https://www.booking.com/hotel/ch/gasthaus-210.en-gb.html
> But then I'm not sure where the nice parts of Zuerich are :)

Right - same here. Out of those, Hotel Otter looks best, based on
location (if 'old town' should be viewed positively), but they all
look fine to me - and I tend to prefer the smaller places even if they
are a bit less of a known quantity.

> As Axel already wrote, the stop "Zürich, ETH Hönggerberg" is well
> connected with buses/trains; some random checks on
> http://www.stadt-zuerich.ch/vbz/en/index/timetables/online_timetable.html
> show 20-30 minutes to the campus from places that look central-ish to
> me as a foreigner.
>

> Ok, so far for my thoughts and findings. What do others think? What
> can locals recommend as a nice neighbourhood with a good connection
> to the venue?

Not sure if my feedback is much help - I too would welcome local
knowledge.

Cheers,
Dominic.