Re: Please review: Announcing a new Debian packaging tool: cme dpkg

On Monday 16 November 2015 12:05:12 MJ Ray wrote:
> As someone who doesn't remember using cme, I'd like slightly more than
> that.  As well as explaining the name, give a one-sentence summary.

Good point.

> Could it be something clearer than on the package?
>
> The package short description is "Check or edit configuration data with
> Config::Model" but I don't know why I'd want to use Config::Model
> instead of another tool.

By itself, cme is useless. Its value comes from the plugin that user can
install on his system (be it dpkg, ssh plugins).

I'ld like to find a better description for cme. So far, I haven't found one.
:-(

Suggestions are welcome.

> The rest of the description makes me think it is a graphical tool but
> there's no screenshots there or on
> https://screenshots.debian.net/package/cme so I don't know if it's
> something I want to use.

Good point. I had forgotten about this site. I've uploaded 2 screenshots.

> Digging deeper makes me think Tk is the only
> graphical option so I suspect not (as someone who had the usual bad
> experiences with Tk back on Solaris decades ago) but pictures would
> really help confirm or reject that.

Yes the only available graphical interface is based on Perl/Tk.

I would love to port the interface to Qt, but I lack the time and Qt
knowledge.

Thanks for the feedback

--
 https://github.com/dod38fr/   -o- http://search.cpan.org/~ddumont/