Re: Updating /var/lib/dpkg/available

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 11:46:15 +0100, Andrew Beverley wrote:

> Continuing my package building attempts, I've just found that
> my /var/lib/dpkg/available file was out of date (despite the system
> being a completely fresh install on my VPS). As a result, my package
> dependencies were being calculated incorrectly.

I'm surprised that dh-make-perl uses this file?!
AFAIK it builds its own cache from the apt-file cache, i.e. the files
in /var/cache/apt/apt-file/.

> 1. Is there any way to detect this situation, that we could add to
> dh-make-perl?

See above :)
(Not sure if dh-make-perl warns about an outdated apt-file state.
It does complain is /var/cache/apt/apt-file/ is empty, IIRC.)

> 2. What is the correct way to update it? I found that neither "apt-get
> update" nor "aptitude update" rebuilt it, which surprised me. I had to
> install dselect and run "dselect update" in order to refresh it.

dpkg --update-avail
should do this.

 : :' : Debian GNU/Linux user, admin, and developer -  https://www.debian.org/
   `-   BOFH excuse #372:  Forced to support NT servers; sysadmins quit.